- Provincial News
- February 19, 2013
Ontario's Speech from the Throne Focuses on Common Ground of Strong Economy, Fair Society, Effective Legislature
The New Ontario Government Emphasizing New Jobs, Strong Communities and Healthy, Engaged Citizens
The new Ontario government is working toward a stronger province that will create good jobs and build strong communities across the province.
The Honourable David C. Onley, Ontario's Lieutenant Governor, delivered the government's Speech from the Throne in the legislature today.
The speech highlighted the government's way forward to find common ground with the opposition so that Ontario can build a fair society, a strong economy and establish a more accountable legislature.
- Eliminating the deficit by 2017-18.
- Introducing an even-handed approach to balancing the budget, allowing all parties to work together to find savings.
- Establishing better accountability in the legislature.
- Focusing on employment opportunities for Ontario's youth, in partnership with education, labour and private sector partners.
- Ensuring municipalities and families have input on the location of energy infrastructure in their communities, while continuing to protect the environment and encourage conservation.
- Ensuring a respectful partnership with labour leaders by building a sustainable process for wage negotiation through collective bargaining.
- Continuing to build the best education and health care systems in the world.
Read and watch the Speech from the Throne.